Monday, August 1, 2011

When I Grow Up

I frequently ask what people what to be when they grow up.  I've been surprised to learn over the years that VERY FEW people are able to give a specific answer for what they want to do.  All this time I thought it was just me...


Images copyright Ambrose Portraits 2011.  Used with permission.
 

My Career Options
So, I may have mentioned this before: I don't really know what I want to do when I grow up.  A technical sales person? A photographer? A travel guide? A comic book writer?  A hit man?  These are all
options.  I don't know what I want my job title to be, but I can describe some aspects of work that will continue to guide my career:
  1. I'm never going back to a cubicle.
  2. Being at home is just as much a part of my day as being at work.
  3. My daily routine requires meeting new people.
  4. I'm free to implement my new ideas.

Career Traits
What do you need to get from your career to be happy?  Helping people directly?  Tons of money?  Foreign travel? A nice view? Ownership of commercial property?  A place on the top-500 list?  Advanced technologies?  Working with your hands?  Teaching?  A fun work culture?  A position that is respected in the community?  Stability?  Short work hours? A management position over a lot of people?

Even if you don't know what you will be doing, what does your dream job feel like?  Make a list of these traits and tape it to your monitor or carry it in your wallet.  Let it guide you as make large and small career decisions.

What do you want to be when you grow up?  Join the discussion in the comments.

No comments: